Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Grameen....Professor inspired me...

I am writing this blog after a large span of time….I always feel and wanted to resume writing the blogs but feel I would not be doing justice with the time because I had committed myself with some more important and prior activities and ofcourse laziness was there to do its work…

During all these period there are lot of things that I wanted to express… write and get it into history of myself….and so I would keep discussing many of the past non-blogged events in the upcoming blog which I feel expressing ….I hope I would keep continue blogging as ever…

Here in this blog I would like to point out one of the very recent event of me watching Professor Muhammad Yunus (excuse me for spelling error) and his achievement of winning Nobel Laureate Peace Prize… Recalling past few years I have been reading articles and listening reviews of people that see how Grameen have changed their (poors of Bangladesh) lives…I always use to think it is just a rhetoric way and this may be one or more of like numerous NGO’s and philanthropic agencies…

But no….after reading thoroughly and listening to him and Grameen work…it is a truly different …highly sustainable way to eradicate poverty… because Grameen banks owners are the poors of the community …their employees are the same…their borrowers are the same…

Its not like other NGO’s that are giving services for instance health-care (maternity homes, awareness program, primary health care units, ambulance services), education (schools, hostels, I am paid to learn schools), housing….which are depended on the philanthropies of the society their donations, their wealth…

Rather it’s a completely u-turn and its just the poor helping themselves…they have been doing for the past many years with excellences (remarkable 98% loan-recovery rate).. with this they have come up with all those other dialogue-based and conceived issue of not taking or giving dowry, cleanliness….with this would also like to mention they have been … the Grameen disaster restoration plan that Professor Younus told on the interview was awesome…by which during a disaster within the area…all the bank changes their operation procedures…and would start giving health-care services, food, and emergency cash and would make all their loans in to long-term loans….

Thus it’s a human…..and is working and will work…

During the interview…the interviewer said that the World Bank and developed world is giving aids of billions to the governments and other organization….why is not making aa change and should they stop giving it? Professor replied that they should keep giving but their aid is not directly affecting poor rather they focus on infrastructure building (bridges and dams) in which the recipient of the aid just got the commodity because the consultants and the builders of the infrastructure are from foreign country… rather they should build a bridge-building company for instance owned by poor of the area and theyr should build the bridge…

Now we can feel a difference …between a regular NGO with Grameen with say itself as a business… A self-sustaining community-based …truly great organization… I am impressed by the Grameen and the work of Professor Younus… The Grameen Phone (partnered with Telenor) is the largest telecom-provider in Bangladesh and the Grameen-Danone is another yougurt manufacturing partnership…

This is the time I really got to new the difference between the work of intelligent and literate as to only those who have passion but are illiterate… because there are already lots of passionate people doing lots of work for philanthropy with different names…(I don’t want to de-motivate them) but even if they multiply themselves they would never be able to eradicate poverty because they could multiply their supply (from 100 ambulance to 1000…or from 1 school to 100) but this would at the end may left someone disadvantageous due to sustainability problems…

With my appreciation to Professor Younus… I have started believing his words that he had said couple of years back “ The only place our future generation could see poverty is in the museum” which earlier I though was a part of too emotional rhetoric speech…

No comments: